So, we’ve all been here: there is a picture of an incredibly cute dog in need on Facebook, your mouse hoovers between the “like” and the “share” button, you are having an internal battle over which to click, or if you even want to click at all. If you “like” it, maybe some of your friends will see but otherwise, you’re done. If you “share” it, you worry you might be annoying your friends with all the pictures of dogs on your news feed. You don’t want people to be annoyed with you! You don’t want to be “that” person. You do nothing.
Guess what? You just made the decision, not to help that dog. I know, I know, I sound so mean and harsh, don’t I? Well here’s the thing: when you “share” the picture, now all of your friends can see it too. Sure, there are probably some people that are annoyed by it (do you really care what they think though?), but there also might be someone that sees the dog and falls in love.
You’ve probably got hundreds of friends, you can’t tell me you know for a fact none of them are in the market for a dog. Don’t quote me on this, but I would venture to guess at least 80% of our (Last Hope Rescue) adoptions happen through Facebook. The remaining 20% come from all of the other adoption avenues–word of mouth, adoption events, Petfinder.
And here’s the other thing. So maybe you really don’t have a single friend in the market for a new dog. Can you be certain that one of them doesn’t happen to have a friend that is though? Maybe your friend shares it with their friend who then might share it with another friend and before you know it, BAM! That dog just got adopted.
Ok, I’ll admit, I’m being somewhat dramatic. The thing is though, these lives truly do depend on it. On Friday I mentioned that I was going to go take pictures of dogs at a small shelter outside of town and then help create a Facebook page for the shelter. Well, we got it up and running and lo and behold, I do believe we have already found homes for a few of the dogs. Now if that doesn’t back up what I’m saying, nothing does. About a day and a half after the inception of the Facebook page and we have already saved some? Pure awesomesauce. And social media miracles.
So, next time you see a picture of a dog in need I encourage you not to look the other way and instead actively help that dog by sharing his picture. You don’t have to do it for every single dog you see (that would be madness) but maybe one a day. Or anyone that tugs particularly hard at your heartstrings. All it takes is about 3 seconds of your time and who knows, you might just be the “share” that lead to that dog getting saved. Pretty cool, huh?
All of the dogs pictured on this post are from the shelter I was at on Friday. A perfect way to help would be to share this post. To see more, check out the page we started by clicking here or searching on Facebook for Friends of Wakulla County Animal Control.